.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, February 08, 2013

 

Comet C/2012 F6 Lemmon Tonight (7 February, 2013)

Comet C/2012 F6 Lemmon sketched through 10x50 binoculars tonight at 23:00 ACDTS seen from my backyard in Adelaide. Upsilon Octanis is at the top of the field of viewComet C/2012 F6 Lemmon sketched through my 4" Newtonian with a 20 mm Plossl eyepiece tonight at 22:30 ACDTS seen from my backyard in Adelaide. The comet is slightly bigger, more circular and less intense than my sketch shows, due to my messing around in the dark


Got comet Lemmon again tonight (see my previous sketch, also got it on the 5th). Unlike the last couple of nights the sky was rather bright, possibly humidity or something increasing the light pollution. I didn't try to estimate the magnitude of the comet because of this. The sketches are still a little rough, have to put fresh batteries in my red torch and find a better something to sit on than awkwardly perching on a chair arm.

Comet was harder to pick in binoculars tonight, but showed up beautifully in my scope. Finding it in the guide scope was a pain though, so I alternated between binoculars and guide scope to star hop effectively. Didn't see a tail, but all photos of the tail show it thin and faint, not going to see it under these circumstances.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
Just hunting around on the red herring trail about Asteroid 2012 DA14 and VESTA being in the same neck of the "woods" and found your site . . . very nice!

Really like your current piece on the ""Occultation of Jupiter by the Moon February 18."" It seems to be a vry busy month indeed.

You should add a subscribe button, like

http://thehill.com/

or for example

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/02/08/friday-funny-demonizing-steve-mcintyre/

where all you have to do is comment and then subcribe to new comments.

But, then again maybe you already have one those special buttons and I just didn't notice it.

Laurie Bowen
Hailing from the Public Library in Jacksonville Florida

Durn just found your email address I will copy you there.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?